CAUTION: The content on this page is no longer being maintained and may be out of date. To see the current content, please visit the new location for this content.
Visit the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) website for information about COVID-19 and for the situation update for COVID-19 in Minnesota. Materials and Resources on COVID-19 page has resources translated in multiple languages and ASL for providers serving non-English speaking individuals and families.
CDC and MDH still recommend all staff/volunteers and clients/residents wear a mask inside a homeless shelter, regardless of vaccine status. Evidence shows masking prevents the spread of COVID-19. Homeless service providers are encouraged to establish masking requirements within their settings.
Still have a question?
Visit the frequently asked questions and answers page. New information and recommendations are added while guidance documents are being updated.
Guidance Documents for All Providers
- MDH Shelter in Place Guidance (last updated 1/28/2022)
- MDH Homeless Shelters and Other Congregate Settings: Interim Guidance for Providers (last updated 11/22/2021)
- MDH COVID-19 Testing: Congregate Settings for People Experiencing Homelessness or Living in Emergency Shelters (last updated 2/2/2021)
- MDH Guidance for COVID-19 Work Exclusion: Homeless Service & Shelter Providers (last updated 11/4/2020)
- MDH Interim Guidance for Facilities Providing Non-Emergency Transportation Services during COVID-19 (last updated 7/31/2020)
- MDH Indoor Air Considerations: COVID-19 (last updated 1/21/2021)
Guidance Documents for Shelter and Drop-in Providers
- MDH COVID-19 Toolkit for Shelters and Drop-in Centers (last updated 8/21/2020)
- This toolkit was created in partnership with Minnesota shelter and drop-in center providers to serve as a resource for responding to COVID-19.
- CDC Interim Guidance for Homeless Service Providers to Plan and Respond to COVID-19 (last updated 7/8/2021)
Guidance Documents for Outreach Workers
- MDH Interim Guidance about People Experiencing Unsheltered Homelessness and Encampment Settings (last updated 2/2/2021)
- MDH COVID-19: Families and People Living in Encampments (last updated 2/17/2021)
- CDC Interim Guidance on Unsheltered Homelessness and COVID-19 for Homeless Service Providers and Local Officials (last updated 7/8/2021)
Visit the Resources Page to find information and guidance specific to providers serving people experiencing homelessness. This page has guidance from the CDC, HUD, COVID-19 shelter tips from Healthcare for the Homeless, examples of emergency preparedness plans, and other resources.
Isolation and Quarantine Spaces
The inventory of isolation and quarantine spaces can change frequently as counties stand up additional spaces to respond to outbreaks or close down or consolidate spaces as cases go down. The Local Public Health department in each county will have the most up-to-date information on the location of isolation and quarantine spaces, their eligibility criteria, and the referral process.